Recovery! :) but then again :(

Friday, December 12, 2008

Payton xrays looked great this morning. They cleared up significantly they are talking about pulling out the left chest tube. As of 2pm when I left, for some away time (this is Jenn) they weren't sure if they would have time for it or not (it seemed like a very 'busy' day in the ICU).

Payton ate a full lunch (Payton standards) but no breakfast. I was able to get her to sit up but then they brought another baby back from surgery so we had to clear out. I expect that she will do the same thing that she did last night & be much more anxious to get up & move around after dinner.

When the chest tube on the right comes out then we will go home. They said that there is minimal drainage in the right tube but we just need to see if that stays the same when she gets up & moves around.

She is so brave! She has been better than I could have ever hoped... she is enduring well. She talks about seeing Christmas lights & I hope that I will be able to take her downstairs soon to show her the lights they have in the garden at night. I can't wait to get her home but am prepared to stay until she's ready. We have been given a 7 to 10 day recovery time so 5 days into it & they are giving her praises every day for the progress she's making... maybe it'll be closer to 7 days! We'll see. I know that Donald is thinking Sunday... but I'm thinking more Monday or Tuesday. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though!

2 comments:

Gary Church said...

EAT Payton, EAT!! Do they know that she normally eats a peeled grape for dinner? lol.

The Ordeel said...

Hi. My name is Dawn Peel and I am in your parent's and sister's ward in Nauvoo. I have a 19 month old who also has hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Your mom told me about Payton's surgery last night and I have been reading about it today reliving the past and halfway dreading and halfway having a renewed hope for his future Fontan. I have been afraid of how it would go making a 2 1/2 year old with a stong will sit on a bed for a week hurting and confused. And I know exactly what it is like to have a surgery or another procedure be delayed while your child is hungry. Poor Payton, but it sounds like she handled everything just so well! It always seems to me that Tanner is less stressed about things than I am! Thank you for your great attitude and coverage of her surgery. It makes me a little less nervous and gives me encouragement that it really won't be as bad as I thought. We will pray for you and Payton. What a fighter. And she is sure a CUTIE! I love her curls!
Dawn Peel