The rest of the story....

Friday, December 12, 2008

When I walked in tonight after work around 6pm, one of the first things that I did was send Jenn out to go and eat dinner that one of the ward members had prepared for us, that I had brought. Then while Mommy was gone to eat I got out the bubbles that I brought her yesterday and I started blowing the bubbles and Payton started popping them with her hands, and I heard her first giggles and saw her first smiles since she arrived from surgery. It was quite a heart warming event for me, at the same time hoping that the partial laughs weren't painful, and they didn't seem to be. Then, dinner that Jenn had ordered for Payton had arrived, it was eggs and toast. I look at it and then at Payton and she says in a cute squeaky voice "eggs" and I then she ends up eating half an order of eggs and a few bites of toast and the Dr's and Nurses were very pleased. They said she was showing off for Daddy, but we will take it however we can get it.

One of the comments that Jenn has said that one of the surgeon's (Dr. Wells) had mentioned tonight during their nightly rounds, was that "Payton is going everything we want her to do except eat." Jenn says, well it is tough to get her to eat much at home normally. The Dr. replied to her "We have standards around here and if kids don't met them, then we lower them" Jenn said it was half in just and half truth.

We had a great nurse today, Rosie. Just before shift change to the night nurse Rosie got Payton to sit up and she was able to pat her back and get her to move around a little. (this is to help the drainage around the lungs, the X-Ray from this morning showed a lot of liquid around them and there was hardly any drainage all day today) Payton performed beautifully for Rosie by sitting up, and drained quite a bit after that episode. Then during shift change they kick us out for about 30-40 min. While during that break we met a couple that just found out that one of their 4 yr old twins has Leukemia and after chatting it turns out that they are friends of a friend, so it was very nice to visit with them for a little while. Then, shortly after coming back the new nurse asked Payton if she wanted to sit in the chair and she nodded and said yes, so Jenn got her up and sat her on Jenn's lap, then Jenn asked her if she wanted to stand up, to which she agreed. After standing for just a few minutes, all of which was very painful we could tell, we got tons of drainage!! :) So all in all Payton is now crossing some very critical milestones of starting to eat and then being up and moving around to really get that liquid out from around her lungs. The Dr's during the morning's rounds will be very pleased and they will most likely give some important information, maybe a time frame for going home, I am only speculating, but what ever it is it will be good news I am sure.

So....tune in next time for another great update. Same Payton Blog....etc, etc, etc!!

Thank you for all of you that are remembering Payton in your prayers, they are hard at work, she is doing tremendous. The miracle is happening right before my eyes, and it is directly tied to your fasting and faithful prayers. Please know that they are so greatly appreciated. We love the Lord for blessing us with Payton and the opportunity we all have to show our Heavenly Father our faith as we plead with him for his healing hands to be placed upon Payton at this time. A little girl that has touched so many peoples lives. Some family members, some friends, some of which have only briefly met her and some not ever even seeing her in person, yet their lives have been touched, many reading this blog right now. Know that we love you and are so grateful for your prayers and concerns.

Wow!! This post has turned into a super long one, hope everyone enjoyed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think all of you are amazing! We think of your often and hope you know we pray for you all but especially Peyton. I do not believe she could have come to better parents or family. Now I know to pray for Peyton to EAT and I like the specifics of that! I pray not to EAT so it will be a stretch for me- Aunt Jeanne ps: Melissa is a personal favorite of mine too!!!

Dan and Hilary said...

Payton is soooo adorable, and I am very happy to hear how well she is doing. You, as parents, are amazing! I could not deal with this kind of situation, and I admire anyone who can and do it so well!

Gary Church said...

Still bawling ... everytime I visit.