Let it Snow!

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

On Thursday of last week I was driving into my dad's office & while looking at the mountains that had a little snow on them the thought came to me... I want to go to the snow! So I called Melissa & asked if she would want to join in on the idea. She was all for it so Friday we drove out to Redlands & drove up the back road to Big Bear. We stuck the kids in the very back & put on a movie. To get their attention I had to slap the window. Payton spotted the snow first.We went up to where they required chains & turned around & found a little neighborhood. We found a spot & hike up a little incline & when the kids refused to walk any further (about 10 yards off of the compacted snow) we stopped. I started to make my first 'Frosty', yes I'm deprived, I grew up in So Cal, what can I say.
The kids stayed right where we put them down. It was pretty funny.

I expected the gloves not to stay on but I was surprised when she only took them off 1 time.
Cute little Casey!!! He was the only one that enjoyed the snow without tears!
We used what we had & I think that Frosty turned out wonderfully.
Only after singing did we get a smile out of Payton
Another funny reaction to us singing... it's not that we sound funny she just makes these crazy faces sometimes. Below is a video of Ryan. As sad as it is when we got back we watched it several times & just laughed. So cute.

Eventually Ryan got to where he would touch the snow & this was the only time that Payton acted comfortable.

It was short lived because on our way out I wanted to take a picture with Payton & well it didn't go like I had hoped.
SO SAD!!!

In an effort to get a picture I went back to her comfort zone & got one where at least she wasn't crying.
Ryan being more comfortable with the snow gave Frosty a kiss. We couldn't get him to eat the snow, even though we tried very hard.
It wasn't until we got to the car that Payton decided she wanted to take a walk by herself.
It was definitely worth the drive & even though we were there about 40 minutes or so, it was enough to tire the kids out. I think with 1 extra person & a little bit more time we would have had Payton & Ryan playing a little bit more.

2 comments:

dana said...

What a great idea!
Cute pictures.

megan said...

Awww...how fun is that?! That is my kind of snow...drive up play...leave when you are cold and tired.