Now you've gone & done it...

Friday, February 29, 2008

Now you've gone & done it Janette, you made me feel guilty. :)
I have been doing something really fun... I've been taking a Quilting Class! I decided that I needed to have a happier year which meant that I needed to do something for myself like taking a class. And since I love crafting of any kind & since I have a LOT of fabric (more than I or Donald would like to admit!) I decided on quilting. SO during my usual blogging time (while Payton's asleep) I've been doing sewing 'homework'.
These are the spoils of my hard work. The one above was the one that we were working on in class. In the second picture I showed the backing. I love how bright it is! It is flannel so it will add a little bit of warmth without being bulkier or heavier. The one below was me trying to have a cool backing to the 1st quilt & it was so good that it became a new one. Yeah sometimes I show symptoms of being an over-achiever! In actuality I didn't know what I was getting myself into. So if we ever have another girl I will have matching comforters for them. It will have the same backing as the first.
I haven't actually quilted the first one yet, I don't want to mess it up! I have pinned all the layers & am not sure when I will start but I'll post the finished product when I do.

In the meantime I will do lots of baby quilts to 'practice'. And since I have a lot of flannel I won't have to spend any more money on fabric for a little while. We are still in a little bit of shock at how much the ones above ended up costing us, but that's a whole other story not to be shared. (I honestly don't want to do the math to see how much it ended up being.)

Here's the first one that I finished piecing yesterday & now need to quilt. It's for my nephew Casey. I still have to do the binding (finishing edge) in Red. I love it & am excited to do more.
So today was the last day of my class & plan to take at least 1 additional class to go over triangle & circles. I have definitely had fun & am loving it so far.
4848

5 comments:

Cindy said...

Holy cow that is a lot of work. I'm very impressed. They turned out so cute!

Gary Church said...

TONS of work ... wanna make me one? lol. I love them! I need to sew more. Those are so cute!

Jamie and JD said...

Wow. You are amazing! Seriously, I tried to sew a pair of pajama pants once and I ended up sewing the backside too tight so nobody could ever wear them! I am way impressed that you did that! But you know, now that you've started making baby quilts, when I have a baby girl, she'll be expecting one... :) love ya!

megan said...

ok, I'm way behind on your blog! First...you are quilting?? Woohoo..we should start a little quilting club! I am as amateur as they come! And your quilts are beautiful!

And to the post that comes next CVS is awesome!! I discovered the joys and the savings awhile back. I always buy my mascara there at b1 get 1 free!

jaime said...

wow. nice job...

i'm with you on the happier year thing. i had to starting doing things for myself this year too...which oddly enough includes sewing.

payton is such a cute girl. we miss you guys!