Moral of the story... Never give a reason!

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

We went to Walmart today to pick up a few items & we always go by the fish to say hi. While there a customer was buying a fish & Payton looked at me & said 'Out'.
Not sure if she realized that they could come out of the tanks before this.
"No Payton, Fish stays in."
"Fish out"
"Fish needs to stay with his friends or he'll be sad."
That made her think... "no fish mine" she pointed & then pretended to hug one.
This was obviously not going anywhere so I said that "it was time to go & Mommy didn't have any money for buying fish".
This has worked in the past when preparing to leave toys & books at the store but I was not prepared for what came out of her mouth next.
Her face lit up, she reached into her pocket & pulled out a quarter & a penny & said...
"Mine Meen (money) Fish" She handed the money to me & smiled at me & I smiled back & she knew she won!
Miraculously an S appeared on my forehead with a neon sign flashing the word SUCKER & a sucker was born right there in front of the fish at Walmart! Apparently I will have to change my tactics & Never Give A Reason.
I already had the decor for inside the tank. I had to buy the 2 fish .20 cents each, the bowl $7.99, rocks $1.69, & food $1.99. There's my justification... does it work still? It did while in the store but hopefully it will still work when Donald gets home & discovers that we have 2 new members of the family. :) We had to go to petsmart for the rocks & they had the little goldfish for .12c each... so with the .26c she gave me I could have purchased 2 fish.
The one fish is distorted a little in the picture. One is orange & the other is white & orange.
And Kristin, yes I may be wrapped around her finger but you have to admit she's got talent, or at least I was impressed! It helped that I knew I wouldn't spend more than $10-$15. It's the most inexpensive pet & if she looses interest then I didn't invest that much, so no guilt & if she doesn't we will end up with a bigger, self cleaning tank that I wanted to eventually get anyway. The problem right now is that she won't leave them alone so they are a little freaked out right now... & not eating... OMG I have set myself up for the "Fish went to Jesus by way of the toilet" talk! Okay maybe there are still a few kinks in the plan... :)
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

The Hyer Family said...

Lauren always asks for a fish, and I tell her that they poop in the water and she'll have to reach in a get the poop to clean it out...it's worked so far! And yes, prepare yourself to run to the pet store to get "replacement fish" for when they side-float

Jean said...

Yay new family members!! Wow, Payton is quite the smarty pants - she has a solution for everything!!

PS - Love the new blog design! Cute!

Megan said...

Just pull up the old Cosby Show episode where Rudy's fish die. It's a classic! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh man.. SHE IS GOOD!
Wow, I'm impressed..
good luck!! ;P

Knight knughts said...

I love her hair. I always see it down but it looks pulled back int he front. totally cute and loving it.

Anonymous said...

Have you named them yet?
They have to have names!!

Jenn said...

I have asked her every day about what their names are & she looks at my like I'm crazy, points & say 'Shhhh' aka fish & holds up two fingers. Then says 'buoy buoy'. So she doesn't quite get it yet but she'll catch on. I'm just glad that the fish are eating & not clouding up the water as fast.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

HA we got Jack a fish. We named him Peedie. But your fish is MUCH cuter.