Christmas Nativity Grant Style!!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas at my mom's house is a huge ordeal. It has become a part of what I think of Christmas... 2 or 3 days of putting up lights (4 or 5 hours each day), spending the next few days figuring out how to connect them without tripping the circuits (because every year we add more or move things around). Actually my mom's house was featured in the Elf movies extra features (Go into infini-film (or something film) & we are the first house under Deck the halls. But it wasn't with this display. Yeah so you can say you know a movie star now! ha ha. Seriously I'm just now getting over the embarrassment of being on there.

So last year in November I started this project. The first weekend was spent tracing (from a pattern found on the internet) & cutting & painting a base coat. Then almost every day after that while Payton was sleeping I painted & painted & painted. Because I am a perfectionist each color got at least 2 coats if not 4 to 5 on the bolder colors like Red, Blue & Purple & the Tan in some cases. Towards the end I would take some home & work on it into the wee hours of the night. So this year we got an award from the neighborhood my mom lives in (btw we aren't the only house that does this it is basically the whole neighborhood so we aren't crazy.... or considered all that crazy... because we are surrounded by crazies!!! lol ). We got the religious award & got a cool trophy with a Santa on it.
So here it is in all its glory.



The hardest part was the baby Jesus' face. The face that came with the pattern was scary looking so the face is the only thing that I had to come up with myself. Thank goodness for Lisa Richardson (one of my mom's best friends) who sent me a few "How to's" on drawing baby's faces... btw NOT EASY!!!



Sorry I didn't post this sooner so that you could come by to see it... I think we are taking it down tomorrow.

1 comments:

Mom and Dad said...

Wow Jennifer! What a project! It looks great.