Here we go again...

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

So over the weekend we (my dad & I) noticed that Payton was a little bit bluer than usual (or rather she would get bluer faster when she was getting upset which has been VERY frequent in the last few days) & was really cranky. I thought it was because her Grandma was gone taking Kristin up to school or the fact that Donald was gone on a High Sierra trip for 5 days... so that is over 1/2 of her peeps gone! But Sunday morning she woke up & was doing this fast breathing, in through her mouth out through her nose & totally freaked me out. She was playing a little but not hard so I sat with her, turned on a movie & she stopped. I watched her closely but she didn't do it again. I think that she probably figured out a new way to play around with her breathing & did it, the little stinker. Either way it unnerved me to the point that I was going to take her in on Monday to see Dr. Burke.

Once we got there I asked for the pulse ox machine so I could get a read on her before going into the office. Sitting down resting it was 78-80 (which is about 4 points lower than last appointment 2 months ago). To make a long story short (we were at the office for about 2 hours) she allowed Dr. Burke to do the echo cardiogram (or at least the parts she usually 'allows') & everything looked good. Her heart function is still excellent, excellent to the point that the Dr. who was in there with Burke commented that the side of her heart that she does have looks perfect (as if all of her heart were whole). They did see turbulence in her blood flow which is evidence that she has developed more collaterals (new passageways that the body creates when blood pressures get really high & she has always been on the high end of the pressure scale). We already knew there were some there because there were a couple big ones that they couldn't get to 2 years ago when we had our last Heart Cathedarization.

So we are headed for another Heart Cath in the near future. I will be getting a call this week to find out when it is scheduled for. Depending on what they find we will most likely be doing the next surgery within 30 days of the Cath (which is usally the time frame anyway). Our goal is to get her in & out of the hospital before Cold & Flu season is in full swing. Yes it is a bit fast for us too but she is only 3 months shy of when they like to do the surgery anyway... it is about 6 months sooner than we were talking about before she started showing signs of needing it.

So the game plan is to make sure that Payton doesn't get sick so that everything goes as planned without any delay. The last 4 weeks Payton has had a runny nose so we haven't been going to more than Sacrament Meeting & staying clear of Nursery but now it looks like we will be absent for the foreseeable future. Oh Joy! :( Last year I stayed home with her from mid November to April-ish. So now it looks like by the time we are done with the surgery it's time to become a hermit with her again.

I will post again when we have the date for the Cath. If you have any questions feel free to comment or email me.

6 comments:

Jean said...

Thanks for the update. Hang in there, Payton!! I'm sorry to hear that the surgery's coming earlier than expected. She's such a trooper. I'm sad that you'll be MIA for a little while!

The Hyer Family said...

Hang in there Jen!!! You are all such troopers and we will be thinking about little Payton---what a cutie she is...

Mama Winn said...

Hey there cute baby girl - we'll be keeping you and your family in our prayers! We will sure miss having you around this Christmas! It just won't be the same! Love, the winn family

Josh and Stephanie Barney said...

Definitely keep us posted! This is one reason I enjoy blogs -- I am able to see things when they are happening rather than months later through our family grapevine.

megan said...

will be thinking of you!! Please keep your blog updated so I know what's going on!!

Gary Church said...

I'm so glad that Payton has you for a mom!!! Your intuition is so keen! We'll be praying for her like crazy and we love you all!!!