She would starve!!!!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Payton had her 15 month pediatrician appointment yesterday & at the end we go over developmental stuff & apparently she should be showing interest in or attempting to feed herself. As I discovered this afternoon if she were left to feed herself SHE WOULD STARVE!!! True yogurt may not be the easiest to eat but it's what she regularly has so I thought that would be a good way to start. She was more interested on playing with the spoon then putting anything on the spoon to bring to her mouth.I ended up feeding her all but 2 bites that I got her to do with me helping get the yogurt on the spoon. So this is definitely a work in progress.
Other news from the Dr. is that she is in the 50th percentile for height, head circumference & (drum roll please...) weight at 22.5 lbs. Considering that last time she was in the teens for everything but her head & that was 25. She sure isn't the petite little girl the Dr.'s prepped us for when she was born. Also I'm suppose to stop giving her a bottle to go to bed with... well at least I'm going to let her start to feed herself, mess & all. As for the bottle thing... not in the immediate plan. Plus I figure that every pediatrician is different so although I do tend to follow Dr.'s advice with Payton I think that I could handle a 'look' from the pediatrician at her 18 month check up when I tell her 'Yup we are still using the bottle.' There are worse things....

3 comments:

Gary Church said...

I'm with ya on the bottle....all the way!! I'm sorry but a 15 month old...and dare I say 18 month old is still a BABY!! And in my humble non doctor opinion, they need things that make their little selves comfortable....so if they want a bottle, I say give it.

I decided that I'm not taking Ryan's binkie away until the first time that he talks to me through it....which will probably be sometime around 18 months. Once they're old enough to talk AND keep it in...they're too big....again, in my opinion. I couldn't care less about things like that......when to take bottles away, etc. I'll pick the bigger battles, thank you. I think that around 2 years old is when they stop being a "baby" and become a toddler.....before then, I think it's their right of passage to have their bottles, binkies, security blankets, whatever.

But if they're old enough to ask for milk.....it needs to come from the frige!!! PLEASE OH PLEASE!!! IF they can ask for it.....don't NURSE THEM!!! lol.

More power to ya, Jenn!!

Jenn said...

I started restricting the plug to only while she is in bed & then mommy emergency times aka sacrament, crankiness when bedtime is still a ways away. She knows that in order for me to get her out of bed the plug stays, so she'll take it out & throw it down. Yeah at least in this one instance she's pretty well trained! Hey I take it where I can get it.

Gary Church said...

Could you please get a video of that?! I would LOVE to see it in action....I know it's hard to catch those things on camera though.