Roseola!!!

Friday, April 20, 2007

Payton has Roseola!!! I noticed a couple of red dots on her this morning when we were getting ready to head up to my mom's house. So we looked at them up there & after a while we came back Payton went down for a nap. Once she woke up I noticed that the bumps had spread & there were a lot more of them. When we went back up to my parents house that's when my mom said that she was sure (she mentioned earlier that she thought it was Roseola). I guess we were fortunate that I was able to catch her fever & give her Tylenol before it got up too high like it says in the description below. My mom said that all us kids had it.

Yet another normal kid thing... Even though she was pretty miserable it makes me...smile is not the right word but it is a calm feeling, relieved maybe... I'm getting off track here... In a way I look at it differently because it's a normal everyday kid thing & not a heart related special anything. I hope that makes sense!

So I looked it up & here's what it said. So all you mom's out there get ready cause apparently it's pretty common & it'll be coming your way!

Roseola (also known as sixth disease, exanthem subitum, and roseola infantum) is a viral illness in young children, most commonly affecting those between the ages of 6 months and 2 years. It is typically marked by several days of high fever, followed by a distinctive rash just as the fever breaks.

Signs & Symptoms

A child with roseola typically develops a mild upper respiratory illness, followed by a high fever (often over 103 degrees Fahrenheit, or 39.5 degrees Celsius) for up to a week. During this time, the child may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite and swollen lymph nodes (glands) in the neck.

So that is Payton to a tea! Running nose (which for her lately has been pretty common) & then a fever (Sunday night to Thursday but luckily never over 101.2) & a rash (which doesn't seem to bother her at all). The good part is that as soon as the rash appears (which is usually when it is diagnosed) it is basically over. At least now there is a reason!!



3 comments:

Dan and Hilary said...

What a cute little girl! She is so strong, and all these adversities are really going to give a great perspective on life!

Gary Church said...

Uh oh. I hope the rash clears quickly and that she isn't sick for too much longer. That rash looks painful, so I guess it's a good thing that it doesn't bother her, huh? I love that she's practically asleep in the pictures too. So sweet!

Knight knughts said...

I wish I was near you to help with the sick babe. You helped me so much when KC and Joshlynn got sick. I am glad your mom has the knowledge to help you out.