Blueberry picking

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

We were invited to go blueberry picking with some members of the ward. It was about 30 or 40 minutes away & it's a 'you pick'. As you can probably guess you pick what you want & get to take it home for a small fee per pound.
Payton found some friends & roamed the whole hill picking blueberries. Every time I saw her she came back with an almost full bucket.
One of the other moms had made these bucket necklaces that worked out really well. I didn't think that Payton would really get into it but she did.
I explained that she needed to pick only the dark blue berries & not any that had red in it. She was very good about not bringing back unripe ones. I tried to get her to taste them but she wouldn't... & still hasn't!
The patch was on a pretty steep hill but that didn't stop Payton from exploring the whole patch up & down.
When we got there Katie was still asleep so Donald stayed up by the car & picked close to the car. When Katie woke up she came out & enjoyed the day with the rest of us.
We left our house around 5:30 got there at 6ish when the sun was starting to set. It was really nice once the sun went behind the trees. I was expecting bugs & mosquitoes but they never came & it was very nice.
We filled up 4 of those pitchers.
See look how steep the hill is. Donald is holding the car seat level.
Come on daddy if you will just drop one & can get it & no one will ever know!
Here is a shot of the whole patch. Actually there is still a little more to the right. If you can see those 2 little dots down near the end that is Payton & her friend.
I zoomed in as much as I could & there they are again.
So we ended up with 12lbs. Here's house this works, you drive to this house where there was a scale, you weighed your loot & paid the $1.25/lb & placed it in the jar. There was some honey there too that Donald bought to make it an even $20 purchase. The honey is excellent!
So when we got home my work began! I washed & de-stemmed the berries.
Separated out the bad ones, which I was surprised at how few there actually were.
And measured them out into bags of 2 cups & 4 cups & stuck them in the freezer. There was about 1 1/2 cups of them left over that we ate through out the week. About a week later I made freezer jam.
I made a couple different kinds. The thought of only having blueberry jam didn't sound that great to me so I bought some strawberries too. So I made 4 jars of each. We now have strawberry (left side), in the middle is the blueberry & on the end is strawberry blueberry. 12 jars to last the year will probably be just fine but I plan to do more, but not any more with blueberry in it.
So the rest of the blueberries will go into muffins, pancakes, pies & just for eating. My freezer is getting full & I love it. Raspberries come back into season in the fall so I'll be adding Raspberries to the stash as well. There are a lot of You Pick patches around here. Apples & Raspberries are next. I think I might try to make Applesauce, I hope it doesn't require to be in the freezer or I may not be able to do it. But Raspberry freezer jam sounds to good not to try.

3 comments:

Mindy Margetts said...

I am so jealous you got to do this! I love fresh... (well, anything).

Mindy

sachia said...

Awwwww...is there anything better than picking ripe blueberries?? What a treat! Can't believe Payton didn't try one...really not even a one??? How funny.

Jenn said...

Not even one. She first tried it when I made blueberry pancakes & she got this funny expression on her face & was like 'oh these are good' but didn't admit it. The little stinker.