Watkins Glen State Park

Monday, August 30, 2010

We had a Stake activity at Watkins Glen State Park. It was about 40 minutes away & was really fun. We couldn't leave until 12:30 because Donald had a class (yes a class on Saturday... during orientation, yeah we are NEVER going to see him!). We got there with enough time to catch the end of lunch.

A quick story... So we were trying to get our food to a picnic table where our neighbors were sitting. Payton knew them so I told her to walk towards the table & she said she recognized them. So I sent her on her way. I went inside to get us drinks & came right out. When I next saw her she was holding her plate of food & sobbing uncontrollably. So the lady that was helping her took Katie from me & I started talking to her to see what was wrong. I thought that she got turned around so I didn't ask why she started crying. We got a few steps from the table & she finally stopped crying enough to say that a spider jumped on her & she couldn't get it off because she didn't want to drop her food cuz she was hungry. My poor baby! So I held her until Donald came & then she starting sobbing again when she started to explain it to him. And then I saw it, the jumping spider, I'm not trying to be funny, it really did JUMP! It was very small but still it jumped. For some of you this may be a common thing but not for me.

They had a very nice pool there & Donald got in with her.
After the pool we went on a hike down into the gorge. Yes Payton is holding a hotdog, the perfect hiking food right?
Katie was there too. And didn't complain at all. Everyone that walked by us commented on her cheeks, which we accentuated by the carrier.
This is what happens when you run down a gravel path. She had just gotten done telling me that she didn't need to slow down because she was being careful.
My legs are starting to shake just remembering this hike!
The signs on the trail head boasted that there were over 800 steps in the state park... This is just a sample of the steps.
But without the steps we would have never been able to see the beautiful waterfalls.
When I see pictures like this it just confirms that I need to learn how to take better pictures.
Below is the waterfall that is in the dark background.
If you can see behind it, the walkway goes behind the waterfall when was really cool.
Below we are behind the waterfall.

It was so beautiful there & I would like to go back & do it again when I am in better shape.


So peaceful.




I got to this point & Katie started fussing so I decided to turn back so that I could get back to the car & feed her. Sounds logical right? WRONG!!! If I would have kept going I would have had 2 maybe 3 small staircases to go, but I turned around & had at least double that, plus a long hill to climb up. My legs were shaking & lets just put it this way, I survived.

0 comments: