The Fraying Blanket... first attempt.....

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Last year, the day after thanksgiving I bought a lot of fabric at Joann's. I have just recently gotten around to making the blankets that I intended to so long ago. Why, do you ask, that all of a sudden I am a sewing maniac? Thanksgiving is 1 week from today & I plan to go to Joann's again & I need to use up the fabric so that I can get more without too much guff from Donald....

So this blanket below was something that I saw that was given at a baby shower a year or so ago. It seemed easy enough but it turned out to be not so easy. I love the pattern!So on the back side there are 3 different solid colors. The top is red, then green & yellow is on the bottom. You then sew lines that you later cut between so it frays. Seems easy enough right?
If I would have thought it thru I would have done it very differently. You can see the patter that I did above & the problem was that I should have done all diagonal lines. When you cut fabric with the weave then when you wash it it makes a huge mess. The shapes turned out perfect & frayed perfectly, it's just the boarder that didn't turn out like I envisioned.
Also the blanket is a really heavy blanket so it's perfect for our Southern California winters. ;)
Other thoughts on the blanket... it is not as easy as you would think. Sewing takes forever & uses a lot of thread & cutting... you have to be careful to only cut thru two layers so using sharp pointed scissors is not recommended. So the next one that I do will be straight diagonal lines (with no shapes!) & then hopefully it will turn out better.
2645

1 comments:

dana said...

I've made a few of those blankets...and yea, they take some time. Doing diagonal lines is a little easier, but I love the idea of doing shapes. I've never thought of that!